18 October 2010

9 Emperor Gods Festival


Each year on the 9th month of the Chinese calendar, we would expect rain for the first 9 days. This signifies that the 9 Emperor Gods Festival has arrived.

Each year, I will do my prayers at the 9 Emperor Gods Temple in Ampang. While I was little, my parents used to take me there in the morning under the rain, but in the past few years I visited the temple in the afternoon when it is less crowded and stormy.

This year, I did my prayers on the 5th day of the month.  

An opera is performed throughout the 9 days, and when I arrived, there was a show going on. You get to see a float procession too on the first and last days, where devotees invite the gods in and send them off. 

The festival is a worldwide celebration and here is a link for you to understand more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment