12 January 2012

Qidong, the earliest dawn city in China & it's cuisine

Qidong is a county-level city under the jurisdiction of Nantong, situated in the north of Yangtze River, the opposite of Shanghai.


In my previous trip to Shanghai, I dropby to have a glimpse of the city.





Dubbed "the earliest dawn" in China, Qidong is the most eastern city in China's eastern coast, facing Shanghai on the opposite of Yangtze River. Geographically, the land was formed by sediment of sand particles brought by the Yangtze River in a history of more than a thousand years.

After Christmas 2011, the bridge connecting Qidong and Shanghai has opened and it only take about an hour from Qidong to Pudong airport in Shanghai. Unfortunately, I was rushing to catch the ferry over to ChongMing island to connect back to Shanghai by road and that whole journey took me two an a half hour. I was there just 2 days earlier before they officially open the bridge.

What is good there? I don't know bout others but this place has very good seafood cos it is at the coast! Managed to have a wonderful lunch before I left for Shanghai.


Sliced abalone. Simple, fresh and nice.


At first I thot this is a plate of fried potatoes but surprised me, it tasted better than potatoes. A kind of roots, local product.


Drunkened prawn. I have not tasted this for a long time. The prawns here were slightly bigger and they soaked them into the brown liquor and served raw. Since that was my last day in China, I decided to take! No regret cos it was so sweet and hooray, no stomach upset!


A kind of local sliced fish meat cook with garlic and special sauce. Great taste.

Prawn soup. Simple and refeshing.


Braised fish skin. Sounded weird? but tasted great! Haha. I enjoyed this dish.

Surprised to see this dish here. The small white /yellow fishes. I tasted that in Yangzhou. Apparently, they shipped to Yangzhou daily. This is very nice.

I have been hunting for this vegetable during this winter season. Missed that for a year. Finally I had the chance to enjoy it on my last day of the trip. Haha. They did it in soup form, very much cantonese style. If this is done in Shanghai, it will be cooked with a mixture of white liquor. The small tou vegetable.


Surprised to see a sea fish, pomphret. I didn't take at all. Hehe, too normal in our country!

Another highlight of the lunch is this baby yam. This is shipped out to the whole China and a delicacy in this small town, eventhou they called it city! Well, I took one and it was really good.

All the seafood that we consumed were catch of the day. That made this small place very special and with the connection of the bridge, U will expect the town to boom cos people will come over for seafood!

Happy trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment