05 January 2012

Shanghai Golden Anchor Restaurant

I am very loyal to a few restaurants in Shanghai and I have to say that my number one favourite is still the Old Jes Se (http://tangeddie.blogspot.com/2011/12/favourite-old-shanghai-restaurant-in.html). However, each time if I could not get a place there, I will opt for this restaurant, Golden Anchor (0086 5258 1097) located at Xin Hua Building, Xin Hua Road, Changning Dist.

This is a very much newer restaurant and the food is great too. Mixture of old and new Shanghainese food. By the way, u still need to book to avoid disappointment!

During my recent trip to Shanghai, I dropby again to this restaurant and we had a great time. So much food were wasted, the typical china man style.

Steamed chicken in chinese wine is a must order dish here. Perfect heat and the stock was really so tasty. Indeed, this is my favourite dish here.

Steamed chicken in chinese liquer 

We had a few starters, among which the cold duck marinated in a special sauce is extremely nice.

Duck tongue is normally a starter. Unfortunately, they run out of the braised type which is my favourite. This style is simple and have to say that it is so-so only.

My friend ordered this crab meat dish as we were a bit lazy to have the whole hairy crab. Slightly difference from Jes Se and this is being modernised. Taste great cos it is the hairy crab season now! I enjoyed it with a little vinegar on top.

The cold fish is just so so only.

I enjoyed the spare ribs more. Simple and nice but a little too sweet for me. Well, Shanghainese has sweet tooth!

I have forgotten the name of this fish, could be kwee fish but this is really good. U can only find it in Shanghai.

Since we have ordered the steamed chicken, we decided to opt for the fishball soup. The fishballs were hugh but a little soft for our standards. Anyway, no complains cos this is their style.

We were so full and most of the dishes were half or partially finished. However, this crazy friend of mind ordered a few desserts too.

The glutinous rice cake is very nice and we still take one each eventhou we were so full.

Pan fried bun is a special dimsum in Shanghai and this place did this very well. Again, we gobbled one each.

As my friend knew that I like pumpkin soup, he actually ordered it eventhou we all have pulled up our white flags. Anyway, the pumpkin soup is very good and I enjoyed a small bowl.



It sounded like a torture but I assured u that we had a wonderful time. A little heartache cos there were so much leftovers. I think we need to educate the Chinamen not to waste food. This has becoming a very bad culture for decades.

Prices are quite reasonable and much cheaper than Old Jes Se.


Happy hunting if u r in Shanghai.

No comments:

Post a Comment